Work With Us
1 Position open
1. SKH-06 – Post Doctoral Researcher in Electrical Engineering with Specialisation in Power Electronics – IERC
Contract: Full Time/Fixed Term
The “intelligent Grid (iG)” research team at the International Energy Research Centre (IERC), Tyndall National Institute, University College Cork, invites applications for Post-Doctoral Researchers in Electrical Engineering with a specialisation in Power Electronics. The role will support the delivery of IERC projects, contribute to the bid and proposal activity for new funding and engage in a variety of internal and external facing activities to include IERC business partners. Therefore, the optimal candidate will have excellent technical, business and interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, a passion for multidisciplinary research in energy and an ambition to develop their own research agenda.
IERC researchers are expected to have an understanding of academic and industrial requirements, together with a sound knowledge of the broader energy landscape beyond their area of expertise. All researchers are encouraged to initiate and contribute to writing proposals for the EU and other external funding streams.
- Leading the delivery of technical tasks and work packages on a number of IERC projects, including guiding junior team members through their roles in project delivery.
- Providing the technical and administrative support that underpins the project coordination function for all phases of IERC projects, including development, delivery and closeout, budget management and resource management to enhance and deliver the requirements of the funding body.
- Support the development of proposals and applications for new projects and technical reports/deliverables associated with project delivery and conference/journal papers for publication.
- Assisting IERC colleagues to manage and deliver projects that accelerate the decarbonisation of the energy sector.
- Liaise and build working relationships with potential industry and research partners to enable the establishment of strong consortia for proposals and extend the reach and reputation of the IERC.
- The successful candidate will be encouraged to develop their research interests and activities.
- Participate in Education and Public Engagement activities, as required.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the required Health and Safety standards.
- Carry out any additional duties as may be reasonably required within the general scope and level of the post.
- A PhD in Electrical Engineering with a specialisation in Power Electronics.
- Experience in managing research projects.
- Demonstrable research expertise in at least two of the following areas:
- Power converter design for EV charging station
- Grid Integration and Control of Distributed Energy Resources and Storage
- Grid Stability/Power Quality Analysis and Improvement
- Application of artificial intelligence in power system and control
- Demonstrated experience using design and modelling tools: Matlab SPS/PSIM/PSCAD or other power electronics simulation tools
- Evidence of high levels of initiative and self-starter.
- Flexibility to travel
- Proven track record of research publications
- Excellent communication, organisation and interpersonal skills
- Hardware Experience/Knowledge of Converters, Hardware-in-the-loop (HIL), prototype development, and any real-time controlling platform (OPAL-RT) in the areas listed above.
- Previous project management experience
- Strong critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Previous experience in managing and supervising postgraduate students
- Research experience in a University/Research Institute/Industry
- Presentations at conferences
- Evidence of professional experience working with industry and demonstrating an understanding of industry needs
- Previous experience in report writing for externally funded projects
The IERC provides a supportive and collaborative working environment to ensure equal employment and advancement opportunities.
Appointment may be made on the Post-Doctorate Researcher Scale, with a salary range of €42,031- €48,427. Salary placement on appointment will be in accordance with the public sector pay policy.
Step 1 – click here to download and complete the application form with Job Reference SKH-06
Step 2 – return the completed application form, together with your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com.
Please ensure that your motivation letter, CV and application letter are submitted in pdf format.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.